home | contact us | sitemap

Tel (0114) 229 0160

Follow us on Twitter Sheffield Solicitors on Twitter

Conveyancing Q&As

Conveyancing Q&As

Your conveyancing questions answered by Rosalind Watchorn Solicitors – Specialist Conveyancers Sheffield.

I have just made an offer on a house. I am told I need to instruct someone to deal with the conveyancing. What is this and how do I go about doing this?

When moving house, conveyancing is the legal and administrative work which deals with changing ownership of a property from one party to another. In practice conveyancing covers a wide range of tasks includes exchanging contracts, transferring finances for the property and a host of other related work. You should contact your local solicitors as soon as you decide to buy or sell, to ensure that the move goes as smoothly as possible.

Do I need a survey?

The golden rule in conveyancing is “let the buyer beware”. Therefore, if you discover any issues with property after you exchange contracts –provided you have not been misled by the seller – you will be liable for these. As such, conducting a survey of the property is a good idea.
If you are obtaining a mortgage a valuer will inspect the property on behalf of your mortgage provider. Though this report gives an indication of the value of the property, you are unlikely to be able to rely on it if things go wrong. For an extra fee the same valuer will usually offer to carry out a more detailed “Home Buyers Report” which you can rely upon. This would give you some redress against the valuer if in if future you discover a problem not mentioned in the report. In older properties it may be advisable to obtain a full structural survey report.
As buying a house is usually one of the largest purchases you will ever make, the extra safety provided by a comprehensive survey may well prove to be a valuable investment.

What are disbursements?

Disbursements are sums of money your conveyancing solicitor will have to pay out to other organisations on your behalf during the conveyancing process. Examples of disbursements include search fees payable to the local authority and water authority, the Land Registry registration fee to register a purchase, and fees for title searches as well as copies of your registered title.

If you have a property law query contact Rosalind Watchorn Solicitors today to discuss your situation. The first CQS accredited solicitors firm in Sheffield, we specialise in conveyancing; wills and probate; tax planning and elderly advice.

Phone Barbara or Stewart for a quote on 0114 2290160.

2 Responses to Conveyancing Q&As

  1. Guest says:

    Getting a survey of the property is essential when buying a property.

  2. First time buyer says:

    Thank you for your helpful tips – you actually make the process sound much easier. I’ll get in touch

Leave a reply

Law Society Accredited

Rosalind Watchorn Solicitors, 10 Kenwood Park Road, Sheffield, S7 1NF. Telephone 0114 229 0160 or email [email protected]

Members of the Law Society. Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority - SRA number 76848. VAT No: 684 1998 79
Copyright © Rosalind Watchorn Solicitors 2009-2013. All rights reserved.